THE DIGITAL CONVERSATIONS
TMYS Facebook LIVE with global thought-leaders under TMYS Review March 2023, in collaboration with CSAS, University of Hawaii, Manoa. The book under the project is available HERE.
(I) RELIGIOUS IDENTITY AND FREEDOM (organised by Soumi Bandyopadhyay)
1. RELIGIOUS PERSECUTION AND WOMEN'S PERSONAL SPACE.The practices and impact of covering women's faces under various religious faith.
Delegate Speakers: Rajagopalan Radhakrishnan Jyoti Atwal Sweta Sur
2. PRESERVING THE REPOSITORY OF INDIGENOUS CULTURES AND RELIGIONS.
Celebrating and promoting Indigenous stories.
Delegate Speakers: Ananya Dutta Gupta Sib Sankar Majumder Anway Mukhopadhyay Prem Phyak
3. ROLE OF RELIGION AND CUSTOMS IN CLIMATE CHANGE AND ENVIRONMENTAL JUSTICE.
Leveraging the power of religion to protect and conserve nature, wildlife and ecosystem.
Delegate Speakers: Adrian Martin Ashish Kothari Roger S. Gottlieb
4. RITUALS SYMBOLISING MARRIED WOMEN.
Impact and significance of wedding symbols on women's choice and freedom.
Delegate Speakers: Sharbani Banerjee and Anna Stirr in conversation with Deyasini Roy
5. SUFI SONGS AND BHAJANS: THE RELIGIOUS ICONOGRAPHY IN BOLLYWOOD.
Celebrating the spirit of God by transgressing religious identities of composers and audience.
Delegate Speakers: Shantanu Ray Chaudhuri Bobby Sing Pavan Jha
(II). CLOTHES, JEWELLERY & ACCESSORIES (organised by Shruti Chatterjee)
1. HISTORY OF INDIAN CLOTHES AND JEWELLERIES
Functional and aesthetical qualities of clothes and jewelleries with specific reference to Indian history.
Delegate Speakers: Ektaa Jain Malini Divakala Vikrant Pande Kruti Dholakia
2. EMERGING TRENDS IN CONVENIENCE DRESSING
Preferences with respect to occupation, geographical location, festivals or workplace.
Delegate Speakers: Nithyaprakash Venkatasamy Vaibbhavi Pruthviraj Ranavaade Layla Mendes
3. MODERN JEWELLERIES V/S TRADITIONAL JEWELLERIES
From handmade to technology enabled, the shift in the emotional bonding with jewellery.
Delegate Speakers: Sylvia Raha Nantia Koulidou Maarten Versteeg
4. MULTICULTURALISM IN CLOTHING AND JEWELLERY
Foreign influences on Indian clothing styles, jewellery and vice versa.
Delegate Speakers: Parul Bhatnagar Maria Angela Jansen Toolika Gupta
5. UNISEX CLOTHES AND EMERGING TRENDS IN SELF GROOMING
Popularity of gender-neutral beauty products, clothes, styling and service providers.
Delegate Speakers: Lisa M. McLaughlin Benilde Reis Kelly L. Reddy-Best
6. Functions of Dress in Social Context
Body, Dress, and Identity in Ancient India.
Delegate Speakers: Saloni Mahajan Sanchaiyata Majumder Utkarsh Patel
(III.) LANGUAGE AND PROVINCIAL NARRATIVES (organised by Sarannaya Bose)
1. PORTRAYAL OF HYBRIDITY AND OTHERNESS IN INDIAN MYTHOLOGY
Relooking at the descriptions of women and the third gender in Indian Mythology.
Delegate Speakers: Lavanya Vemsani Jeffery D. Long Anuja Chandramouli
2. FEMININE, FEMINIST AND FEMALE LANGUAGE
An evolution of women’s writing and expression over the years.
Delegate Speakers: Shelly Bhoil Debali Mookerjea-Leonard
3. BORROWING, MIXING AND NATURALISING LANGUAGE
An analysis of loanwords and colloquial terms in languages across the world.
Delegate Speakers: Nishi Pulugurtha Somrita Urni Ganguly Sarmila Paul
4. LANGUAGE AND SEXISM
Sexist and derogatory slurs across languages.
Delegate Speakers: Rakhshanda Jalil Sourav Banerjee
5. WOMEN’S LANGUAGE OF REBELLION
Real-life stories of women’s protests through activism and symbolism.
Delegate Speaker: Malashri Lal Shreyashi Gopinath Dev Nath Pathak
Special thanks to Priyanka Chakraborty.